Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Variables Thinking- an intro!

Welcome!
Have you ever said ... "there are so many variables"  or "the problem has so many variables it is difficult to understand"... or "I'm not sure we are looking at all the moving parts here" or even "I can't begin to tease out the factors to decide what needs to change.."

If any of these thoughts has crossed your mind in any context perhaps you will be interested in my project-  VARIABLES THINKING- a skill for life.

The project came to me as an artist and educator, or I should say the project bubbled up in me through years of painting and teaching (and learning about teaching and learning.)  It was difficult not to notice a major critique of our education system- regarding the lack of critical thinking skills and teamwork skills of America's high school and college graduates.  

It has been difficult not to notice that we are a culture that hasn't taken the time to teach "how to think, and how to consider all the variables- in any given situation."

This blog will be about thinking and it will parlay/follow my journey toward creating a K-12 (Kindergarten through 12th grade) curriculum throughline.  I will explain throughlines in my next post and I will pace myself as a blogger so as not to bore, overwhelm or simply go on too long.  

But for now just think of this blog as a work in progress.  By the end it may chronicle the making of a right brained piece of curriculum that empowers teachers and students to step back and take time to think conceptually, see connections between disciplines and subjects and problems.... or it may meander through an ineffable desire to make teaching and learning richer, broader and more universal without accomplishing this goal.  We will see and I do plan to enjoy the ride!

-thanks for reading (more soon) L

7 comments:

  1. Lisa. Great title for your mission. Thank you for starting this. It harmonizes beautifully with my mission of changing how we think about education. Just getting everyone to realize that the left brain can't really do very much without the right will make a dent. Knowing that the right brain isn't mere art and the left science, and to educational an activity probably needs more than one part of the brain. This blah, blah is just to say You GO!!
    PS, I wishe people said creative thinking more than critical thinking--or at least as often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will happily follow your thought process! Not sure how to 'follow' as it will be my first real blog experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I'm right there with you! I'm planning on turning my library into a secret lab where I teach kids how to think, problem slove and work together...shhhh...don't tell the school district! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up and am excited to read your postings.. having a little trouble posting a comment though... let's see if I succeed..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eugenia, Doree, Francie, Rick, Gary, Meghan-
    Thanks for being the very first to take part.
    I know how busy everyone is- so it is truly appreciated.
    More soon.-L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog Lisa! what about the scheduling that happens in a lot of families? The kids aren't developing critical thinking skills if they are constantly being told where and what they will do........

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES YES YES overly scheduled kids a problem... so much has been written- Last Child in the Woods http://richardlouv.com/books/last-child/
    I love the title of this book because to me "woods" represent possibility, discovery, imagination and creativity- in an urban setting we need to create the "Woods" -places of unstructured play and benign neglect :)
    Tell me what to do all the time and I will lose my ability to figure out what I like and how to entertain myself. Cheers! -L

    ReplyDelete